Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Here to introduce myself: Andrea from Brooklyn and I've been a Jane's fan since middle school... now I'm somewhere in my 30's and don't you just love it when you've found one of those bands that still grows with you? I still have my well worn VCR tape of The Gift... which is that on DVD yet? I love their movies; they should have done more in my opinion, because (honestly) who doesn't want to see someone accidentally set a chicken on fire? Anyway, would love to share memories of JA with other fans. Oh, and obviously their music... what really needs to be said?

With love, Andrea
"Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person will suffer the loss of his friends and family. All are going to lose everything they love in this world. Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?"
— Sam Harris

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Brand new here - love Jane's Addiction! Oh and I'm old...very old, but still love the sound - glad they're doing some shows!

2. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I'm super old -.... Doesn't that mean wiser? haha
    Kellyjane

Try your best to commit random acts of kindness, it feels good - I promise.

3. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I suppose I'm old... a few years younger than Dave and Stephen (strange how I would never consider them old, though!). I've been a fan since I was in high school and first heard "Jane Says" - what a tune!! I'm loving the new stuff - can't wait for the album to arrive and really hope to catch them live

4. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Hmm, what is considered "old"? Let's just say I'm old enough to remember Ritual being released. Actually my first experience hearing JA was on the school bus when I was in the 7th grade. A 'punk rock' kid used to sit in the back on the bus, always had his head phones on and I sat right in front of him. I remember one day the music was so loud I could hear it coming from his headphones. I asked what he was listening to and he said, Jane's Addiction". I told him I had never heard of them and he replied, "Yeah, I doubt you would..." I remembered he was wearing a JA shirt with one of the pics from liner notes of Nothings Shocking, the one where it was just there heads and looked like they were on a beach somewhere.

Anyway, a couple weeks later I saw the video for Stop on MTV 120 minutes. My world changed that day. The whole video had me mesmerized, I loved everything about it. The part where they went to the close-up of Dave's hand while he is ripping the solo... As a young musician, I was sold.

This was well before the internet and probably for the best. I would have been one annoying little SOB had I been able to Tweet the guys or send an email. But ya, so I'm "old" now and life has a way of changing your course for you. Still love this f'ning band, still listen to them everyday and still have all the incredible memories with Jane's Addiction providing the soundtrack. Thank you boys!

5. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Old? Yes, in the eyes of the young and under 20 crowd. Old? No, in the eyes of the elderly who suffer from geriatric dementia.
    My first JA show is a haze of mixed memories from my Sacto stomping travels hitching rides up and down the coast to catch Skinny Puppy or Front 242 play (this was when Nine-inch Nails was still an opening act). It's a vague recollection of me melding into a far corner of some Cali theater, whose name I have long forgotten, watching JA play.

6. RE: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I'm 46 earth years old and have bean a janes fan for ever, I mean I'll be a Janes fan FOREVER! Bury me in a 40 foot wedding dress and sing a good song! Don't forget the dancing girls! Exclamation points rule! I know I'm not old enough to get it but I promise I'll try harder. I fuckin' love you guys and everyone else who gets it. yell scream live loud and never ever say no. thanks boys

7. Gly avatar Gly

Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM

43 soon to be 44, and have been a JA fan from the first moment i heard them back in '89, or was it '88, or perhaps....

so glad to see 'the boys' still kicking it. really, really like the new album. I took a drive around the 40 mile block after getting their new album and visions commenced. i especially like Twisted Tales. in the middle of the day while driving, i was transported to that mythical strip bar with that mythical stripper dancing to it.

i could write a book, but, ill stop, really, with a sincere thanks.

8. RE: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I am oldish (40 this year sob) and have loved Janes since the early 90's. I too like how the band have grown along with the fans and their sound although still "Jane's" has umm dare I say it matured? :) Am eagerly awaiting a UK tour *looks hopeful*

Cat x

9. RE: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yea... 51 last month...

saw the boys at the Cat Club in ny .... incredible show. Tix were like 5 bucks. Been a fan ever since. My ears are still ringing

10. RE: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I was at the Cat Club show
    1988... wow 23 years ago....
    I remember Perry had dreads and a cast on his leg or arm and poured a quart of milk over his head during the encore.

11. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

First Ave 1989. Been blown away ever since.

12. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Been a fan since 1989...I have only seen them twice,but they have always been my favorite band. I still own "soul kiss" and "gift". Following Perry and Dave on twitter really brings you closer to the band and Perry has even replied a couple times,making my day every time! Can't wait to see them again in Tulsa,OK!

13. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM

discovered JA in late 90 (or was that early 91?), when Ritual was toured. .. saw the show in Springfield MA. transcendant. Perry told the crowd to (paraphrasing) get off your ass & do something. . . i did. I moved away from the factory & got a position at a station. I love my job, now. I've met Dave & Perry and i try to get to every Lolla i can for my "vacation". That JA show changed my life. Enit, too...

14. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Fly-Fisherman3 wrote:
    Been a fan since 1989...I have only seen them twice,but they have always been my favorite band. I still own "soul kiss" and "gift". Following Perry and Dave on twitter really brings you closer to the band and Perry has even replied a couple times,making my day every time! Can't wait to see them again in Tulsa,OK!

That's so cool that he replied to you on Twitter!

15. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I saw them in '91. It sounds cheesy to say that the event was "life changing", but it really was. J.A. of this period were really tapping into something primal and spiritual.
    "Come like shadows, so depart"
    www.facebook.com/BlackLotusKult
    www.blacklotuskult.com

16. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:25 AM

I have been a fan since the first time I heard the XXX LP. I can vividly remember my drummer putting it on after band practice, Trip Away starting and music changing for me - Forever. Been a fan since then, must have been 1987 because Nothings Shocking was not even on the radar. First show was The World in NYC Halloween weekend 1988. I was completely blown away, saw them a bunch since. I loved those club days when Pigs In Zen always had different stories, etc. in the middle and Perry was completely mesmerising. Looking forward to this new theater tour and I will always have a spot in my heart for the early days.

17. RE: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I guess I would be considered somewhat old. I first stumbled upon Jane's when I was in 10th grade and my sister was dating a guy who lent her the Ritual CD. One of the first songs I heard was "Three Days". I was an instant fan and still to this day cannot get enough Jane's! I love them so much that without even realizing it, I influenced my two sisters (one of which is about 15 years younger than me) into a total love of Jane's too.
    When the NINJA tour came to Pittsburgh a few years ago I was so so excited! This was the first time my sisters and I were actually able to see them in concert and they did not dissapoint. We already bought the presale tickets for Columbus and can't wait to see them again!
    Jill

18. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yep since 1990, 35 years young.

19. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Late 80,s for me on the nothing shocking tour, newcastle england, at the riverside...top band...

20. Re: Any 'old people' & long time Jane's fans?

Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I'm 37, a fan since the self-titled debut album back in, oh Christ, 1987? Sheesh.

Howdy from Tulsa, y'all.

"They'll squeeze you dry man if you let em."

Get the latest from Janes Addiction!