Best Jane's Show EVER...

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Lollapalooza '91...Dallas TX. Headliner after a day of insane performances. Ridiculous stage show, girls in cages, Perkins/Avery rhythm section. And Perry was ringmaster/showman/demon extraordinaire. Can't wait to see them this time around!

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Unfortunately I missed the first Lolla.

However, my favorite all time show ever (not just JA) was the Enit Festival @ the Bill Graham Civic in SF on Nov 22 1997. It was like Burning Man but with a Jane's Addiction twist. DJ Goldie opened. Followed by Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters during intermission. Then Jane's came out with an explosive set. Beautiful dancers everywhere climbing poles dancing in cages. Oh, the pelvic thrust of one of the dancers and crowd surfing to Ocean Size is burned into my deepest chasms.

The after party was at the same venue and lasted until 6 AM. Everyone had access to the main floor w/ DJs playing, a side chlll room with beds and couches w/ trip hop and lounge DJs. Next to the chill room was the Ken Kesey Room. In this room a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 style film was playing of Ken Kesey's silouette and voice over crazy political and disaster footage of such as the JFK assasignation and nuke tests. I would sure love to have a copy of that footage. It was beautifully reality disturbing!

In preparation they changed all the white florescent bulbs in the four levels to red! On the one of the upper levels, after walking out the elevator and down a long dark hall was the Genie Room. When I walked in here I bent down and kissed the F-N carpet. I wish I had time to write more descriptively about everything. There were several genies (mostly girls but a few guys) fanning people and feeding the mortals grapes. In the middle of the room was huge multi-tier fountain trickling water. The entire room basking in warm rose colored light.

Adjacent to this room was the massage room. In here, the room was filled with tables and chairs, laughter and moan as masseuses and masseurs were generously offering and providing hand, foot and full body massages. Eventually after being fed grapes and being fanned, returned the gesture by fanning a girl getting a full body massage right as MTV came through filming Perkins over on his way to the Jam Room. The Jam Room was filled with a dozen various types of hand drums and a half dozen blow up characters and beach balls to smack around. Perkins joined into the jam session.

Ironically, week later I attended another event that rivaled the Enit Festival. It was the underground marching band Crash Worship's absolutely insane pre-Thanksgiving event, The Feast. My buddy's brother's band, Amber Asylum opened, being pushed through a crowd in a mock pirate ship that shot wine out the eyes of the womanly figurehead as an offering to the crowd.

As the marching band played drums and horns through the crowd in the crowded, dusty warehouse a topless goddess was carried out a huge tray of surrounded by a bouquet of strange foods. She was ripped of chunks of apples, grapes and watermelon and handing them out the the mortals. I grabbed a massive piece of melon and savagely smashed it into face. Bags of boxed wine bladder were generously passed throughout the crowd. No cups just raise it over your head and suckle. Occasionally a slab of raw meat would go flying into the crowd and smack someone in the face or body. Eventually someone blew up this very gnarly cow alter with fireworks and the event got shut down by the rental cops.

A huge thank you to Jane's Addiction, Ken Kesey, and Crash Worship for the amazing gift!

2. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

best ever? ... but they were all great! the opening moments of the jubilee tour was simply stunning - the giant shimmering gown with all the dancers hidden underneath was a visual treat. The diy feel of the 'xmas lighting' for the Ritual Tour sticks in my mind & the mid show tribal-drum section was rhythmic delight. I mention elsewhere in the forum that this show was somewhat a personal turning point in my life; inspiring words from the shaman. The PFP shows were all different- sonic and visual specticals. Enit (MansfieldMA) saw a near tragedy with a stilt-walking fire-breather. The Lollapaloozas have always been my vacation. Every year, the highlight is at the Kidzapalooza stage when Perry & Pete do their short acoustic set. Chicago is a fantastic town (in the summer). Looking very much forward to the Theater Tour and, of course, the first weekend in August.

3. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Every show I've seen has had incredible moments although I gotta go with either the first Lollapalooza in Denver or Belly Up in Aspen about a year ago. Denver because I stood against the rail center stage for the duration of the day to be as close as possible, which was one the greatest experiences EVER! Aspen because Dave hooked me up with tix, which was just an amazing honor that I appreciate to this day.
    Fortunate enough to catch four other shows along the way. Psyched to see them again!

4. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

So are you the 'Just ask' guy from Dark Matter?
    http://www.musiccavity.com

5. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Lollapalooza '91 in Toronto was amazing. That was the first time I saw Jane's Addiction live - unbelievable show!! Can't believe its been 21 years already!

6. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:52 AM

I was at that show too, but unfortunately I was around 17 and overdid it a bit and burnt myself out. I watched the first couple/few songs but got carted away by security/medics around half way through their set. Don't remember too much about it : /

http://www.musiccavity.com

7. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM

For me I think it was the first Lollapalooza in Mansfield, MA 1991. Incredible. The tour 2 years ago with NIN was pretty good too!

8. Re: Best Jane's Show EVER...

Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

WildMan wrote:
    For me I think it was the first Lollapalooza in Mansfield, MA 1991. Incredible. The tour 2 years ago with NIN was pretty good too!

The stage design from the NIN/JA tour was awesome, too! I can't wait to see the artwork etc this time around...
    .I'm Sarfa... please don't make me Barfa.

Get the latest from Janes Addiction!